U2 and their manager Paul McGuinness have been named ’2005 Ambassadors of Conscience’, an Amnesty International Award.
Art for Amnesty spokesperson Bill Shipsey said that ‘for their art and music alone U2 would be worthy recipients of Amnesty’s most prestigious human rights Award’. The Irish poet Seamus Heaney, whose work inspired the award, commented ‘U2 have sung themselves to where great singing comes from, that place where art and ardency meet in the light of conscience.’
The band were lauded for their promotion of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights during the shows on their current Vertigo World Tour.
Amnesty International Secretary Irene Khan said: ‘From Live Aid in 1985 and Amnesty International’s 1986 ‘Conspiracy of Hope’ tour, through to Live 8 this past July, U2 has arguably done more than any other band to highlight the cause of global human rights in general and Amnesty International’s work in particular. Their leadership in linking music to the struggle for human rights and human dignity worldwide has been ground-breaking and unwavering. They have inspired and empowered millions with their music and by speaking out on behalf of the poor, the powerless and the oppressed.”
Amnesty International’s “Ambassador of Conscience” Award recognises exceptional individual leadership and witness in the fight to protect and promote human rights. Past winners include Vaclav Havel and former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson.
Support Amnesty. Make some noise.
Thank you for visiting U2log.com today and your patronage over the last decade. The time has come for us to call it a day. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye and thank you again.
PS, we may not be blogging here, but we're still somewhat active on Twitter and daily links should still appear on this page.
- Billboard: No U2 Album or Tour Until 2015 March 7, 2014Billboard magazine is out today with news that's sure to test the patience and loyalty of a lot of U2 fans: There will be no U2 album nor a tour until 2015. The reason? Well, none is definitively given. A Billboard source implies that U2 isn't happy with its current material: "That magic that the band always seems to capture ...
- 'As If It Was Yesterday...' March 7, 2014The U2 Playlist of Nick Stewart, who signed the band to Island Records. […]
- Like A Video: The Million Dollar Hotel/Invisible March 6, 2014[Ed. note: This is the 23rd in a series of essays by the @U2 staff about U2-related visuals and videos. Some essays may be informational and educational, while others may be more personal.] Our “Like A Video” segment usually highlights a music video or live concert footage, but this month I’m thinking about a movie that features the music of U2 and a screenp […]
- The Edge in Mario Batalis 'Feedback Kitchen' March 4, 2014Wie das Wall Street Journal berichtet (Link), möchte Dailymotion USA sein Angebot für amerikanische Zuschauer attraktiver machen und produziert daher eigene Serien. Eine dieser Serien wird die Sendung Feedback Kitchen mit dem Koch Mario Batali sein, die die Leidenschaften Musik und Essen miteinander verbinden möchte. ...
- Oscar-Verleihung: U2 gehen leer aus March 3, 2014Bei der 86. Oscar-Verleihung am vergangenen Sonntag in Los Angeles konnten sich U2 in der Kategorie 'Best Original Song' mit Ordinary Love zum Film 'Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom' nicht durchsetzen. Ausgezeichnet mit der begehrten Trophäe wurde der Song 'Let it Go' aus dem Film 'Frozen'.Begeistern konnten U2 jedoch das […]