Guy Garvey, lead singer of the British band Elbow, says the band members were all U2 fans. Elbow, who won the 2008 Mercury prize, has recorded U2′s song Running to Standstill for the new War Child album, ‘Heroes’.
Garvey says it was the first song the band ever learnt together:
“We were huge U2 fans… it was the first thing we ever played together as nippers”, said Garvey. “It was too lovely a thing that we’d also covered it many, many moons ago.”
The War Child album ‘Heroes’ will be released on February 16th.
The tracklisting in full:
1. Beck (Bob Dylan: Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat)
2. Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music: Do The Strand)
3. Lily Allen (The Clash: Straight To Hell)
4. Duffy (Paul McCartney: Live And Let Die)
5. Elbow (U2: Running To Stand Still)
6. TV On The Radio (David Bowie: Heroes)
7. Hot Chip (Joy Division: Transmission)
8. The Kooks (The Kinks: Victoria)
9. Estelle (Stevie Wonder: Superstition)
10. Rufus Wainwright (Brian Wilson: Wonderful/ Song For Children)
11. Peaches (Iggy Pop: Search And Destroy)
12. The Hold Steady (Bruce Springsteen: Atlantic City)
13. The Like (Elvis Costello: You Belong To Me)
14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker)
15. Franz Ferdinand (Blondie: Call Me).
Thank you for visiting U2log.com today and your patronage over the last decade. The time has come for us to call it a day. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye and thank you again.
PS, we may not be blogging here, but we're still somewhat active on Twitter and daily links should still appear on this page.
- The Edge Helps Launch New Music Rising at Tulane Website April 24, 2014The Edge appeared via video Tuesday during the launch of Music Rising at Tulane, a new website that helps preserve the musical traditions of the Gulf Coast area and educate the public about them, too. In a news release announcing Tuesday's event, Edge had this to say about the project: