Guy Garvey, lead singer of the British band Elbow, says the band members were all U2 fans. Elbow, who won the 2008 Mercury prize, has recorded U2′s song Running to Standstill for the new War Child album, ‘Heroes’.
Garvey says it was the first song the band ever learnt together:
“We were huge U2 fans… it was the first thing we ever played together as nippers”, said Garvey. “It was too lovely a thing that we’d also covered it many, many moons ago.”
The War Child album ‘Heroes’ will be released on February 16th.
The tracklisting in full:
1. Beck (Bob Dylan: Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat)
2. Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music: Do The Strand)
3. Lily Allen (The Clash: Straight To Hell)
4. Duffy (Paul McCartney: Live And Let Die)
5. Elbow (U2: Running To Stand Still)
6. TV On The Radio (David Bowie: Heroes)
7. Hot Chip (Joy Division: Transmission)
8. The Kooks (The Kinks: Victoria)
9. Estelle (Stevie Wonder: Superstition)
10. Rufus Wainwright (Brian Wilson: Wonderful/ Song For Children)
11. Peaches (Iggy Pop: Search And Destroy)
12. The Hold Steady (Bruce Springsteen: Atlantic City)
13. The Like (Elvis Costello: You Belong To Me)
14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker)
15. Franz Ferdinand (Blondie: Call Me).
Thank you for visiting U2log.com today and your patronage over the last decade. The time has come for us to call it a day. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye and thank you again.
PS, we may not be blogging here, but we're still somewhat active on Twitter and daily links should still appear on this page.
- Guardian: U2 Spokesperson Says Album Still Planned in 2014 March 10, 2014A U2 album is still being planned for 2014. That's the word from an unnamed U2 spokesperson quoted in The Guardian today: "U2's album is planned for this year, is still on track and touring plans haven't been confirmed yet." That's obviously in response to last week's Billboard report saying that U2 has
- Greg Carroll’s Teddy Bear: Much Loved March 10, 2014Awww. This is both too cute and too poignant at the same time. The line “grace makes beauty out of ugly things (or events, in this case),” comes to mind. Last year, Dublin-based photographer Mark Nixon published Much Loved, a collection of photographs of teddy bears with their owner’s stories. In it is a pic [...]The post Greg Carroll’s Teddy Bear: Much Love […]
- Column: off the record..., vol. 14-609 March 10, 2014Wow! The recent barrage of U2 news has left my head spinning. We thought we were seeing the run-up to an album release: lots of interviews with Bono, special appearances by band members at events, performances on The Tonight Show and the Academy Awards and specific mentions of new material by The Edge and Bono. And then ... disaster. For those who missed it, […]
- Kein U2 Album 2014? March 8, 2014Gestern brach die Hölle über die U2 Fancommunity los als Billboard von U2s Plänen über das neue Album berichtete. Unter Berufung auf 'multiple sources' verkündigte das renommierte Magazin, es werde weder ein Album, noch eine Tour um Jahr 2014 geben, stattdessen sei alles auf 2015 verschoben worden. Während Danger Mouse ...
- Billboard: No U2 Album or Tour Until 2015 March 7, 2014Billboard magazine is out today with news that's sure to test the patience and loyalty of a lot of U2 fans: There will be no U2 album nor a tour until 2015. The reason? Well, none is definitively given. A Billboard source implies that U2 isn't happy with its current material: "That magic that the band always seems to capture ...