“I’m not a supporter of any political party. I like parties though,” Bono told the Liberal convention in Canada this Friday. He addressed the convention to deliver a political message and as a personal favour to Liberal Leadership Candidate Paul Martin.
Abusing their language (“je m’en fous”) before talking more seriously about Africa and the war against poverty, Bono praised Canadians for their idealism and for not being insular. “You’re not so self-obsessed and this is coming from a rock star, so believe me, I know self-obsessed,” he said.
“I’m a fan of Canada, I believe the world needs more Canada.”
So if your Canadian friends come over a little too big for their boots, you’ll know what to do: blame Bono.
- CBC news: Bono challenges Martin to help Africa (with audio of full speech)
- Yahoo: photos.
- Canada.com: Bono wows liberal convention
- CTV.ca: Bono makes powerful plea at Liberal convention (with video)
- CTV.ca: Bono and Martin join forces on aid to Africa
- The Globe and Mail: Bono endorses Martin, Canada in helping third world
- JamMusic: U2’s Bono praises Canada’s leaders
- The Star: World needs more Canada