A lot of people still seem to be having problems with signing up to u2.com. We’ve been keeping an eye on the u2.com Zootopia forums and will try and address people’s questions on here, while the tech staff of u2.com seem to be preoccupied with trying to fix things.
This is not entirely fool proof/bug free, but should get you going and hopefully manages to answer some of your questions.
[Update] A few more problems addressed in this post plus an update from u2.com.
When you sign up to u2.com, it initially creates a free account, with limited rights (most noticeable in the Zootopia section, where you’ll only see one group). This happens before you even send them your credit card details. If for some reason you credit card payment doesn’t work out for you, you can try again later simply by closing your browser and logging in with the (free) account details sent to you. If you then click “subscribe” you’ll be sent on to the shopping cart script. Check the item “Membership” is only in there once before giving it your credit card details. The system should mail you again after your credit card payment went through.
A way of checking whether your payment went through is checking the Zootopia forum. If you’re a paid user, you’ll see additional forums in a “Subscriber Site” section. Also, under “My Profile” something like “Your Membership will expire on dd.mm.yyyy” will appear (that’s euro date format by the way).
The signup process still seems a bit buggy, at best, but we’ll do our best to help you guys make it work.
A few more questions answered:
- Mail seems to be web based only, which means you won’t be able to check it with a regular POP email client (such as Outlook, Eudora, Netscape mail, etc)
- Webmail seems to be only accessible when your account has been upgraded to a paid membership (after your credit card payment went through successfully)
- It is possible to be (auto)logged into the Zootopia section of the site, without being logged in to the rest of the site. You’ll see all the forums in Zootopia, but won’t have a “webmail” link. If this is the case, log in using the “Login” option in the top right corner (just below Larry)
U2.com finally got their finger out and did a mailing to all their free account users more or less summing up what we did already.
Here’s their guide for signing up for users that currenly hold a free membership:
To take out U2.Com Membership follow these steps:
- Go to U2.Com
- Log in with your current user name and passcode.
- Click on Subscribe
- You will immediately be taken to the Shopping Cart
- Follow the cart instruction for purchase
Don’t forget our tip jar!