As reported by u2.com (login required) last month, The Edge has contributed to the One Laptop Per Child non-profit organization by creating a custom startup sound for the XO laptop. Your chance to get a laptop, and to empower the children of developing countries, is soon drawing to a close for the current offering period. If you’d like to support the cause, head over to laptop.org right now for more details on how you can contribute and give one more child access to knowledge and modern forms of education.
Having received one of these XO machines just in time for Christmas, I set out on a hunt for the startup sound. It took longer than expected, but in the process I was able to find a number of startup sounds, two of which are of particular interest. The first was apparently used for some time during development until such a time that the final sound had been provided. Below you will find links to these two sounds. Before simply downloading these and forgetting about OLPC, please consider donating.
Prototype sound (named startup.flac but downloads as data-startup.flac), used approximately from September 24, 2007 to November 13, 2007*
Final sound, used since September 19, 2007*
* These dates represent when the files were added or removed to the XO firmware and software projects, not necessarily when they showed up in products shipped to consumers.
As in years past we at U2log.com are excited to keep our tradition alive by bringing you some goodies to keep you company through the holiday season and into the new year.
This year we are pleased to share with you some rare gems from our vinyl vault. But before we open the vault we would like to present you with the following message.
It was 20 years ago today:
- Vicki Iovine introduces A Very Special Christmas, taken from a US cassette promo.
- An edited version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), taken from that same promo.
From the vinyl vault:
- I Will Follow (Special Edited DJ Version), from a UK 7″ promo.
- An edited version of Fire, from a UK 7″ promo.
- An edited version of Gloria, from a UK 7″ promo.
- An insanely rare edited version of Gloria, from an Argentine 7″ promo.
These downloads will be available for a limited time only. A big thank you goes out to our friend Rajiv Udani for providing some of these rarities!
Watch the trailer and get your own widget from u23dmovie.com.
Got questions about The Joshua Tree? Paul McGuinness will try to answer them on Phantom 105.2 Irish radio, during a two-hours Album Archive special on Sunday December 9th at 10:00pm GMT.
Send your questions to: email@example.com
Read more on Phantom.ie