We’re sat behind a computer, but fans inside the stadium are bringing the show to us semi-live through the wonder of Twitter (and Twitter related services) and mobile streaming.
The band played the same set as they did yesterday at their dress rehearsal. Things didn’t all go according to plan. There was a bit of a tuning problem during ‘One’ which made the band stop and start again.
Although Aung San Suu Kyi masks were handed out to the audience, people didn’t seem too pushed to wear them during Walk On, despite masked kids walking on the stage ramp giving the example. Lesson for the band… perhaps let the audience arrange their own flash mobs, instead of trying to control their creativity.
The large suspended circular screen can be lowered and can also conjure up nifty 3D effects. Friends at the show were in awe of the production during The Unforgettable Fire (so pleased that song is back!) and were especially impressed with the sound in the stadium. We can also reveal that the red flood of lights is back for Streets.
There were a few other surprises. When Bono took off his jacket he revealed, perhaps predictably, a Barcelona FC team shirt, which was then swapped for an LED-encrusted jacket during Ultra Violet.
Perhaps the most surreal moment of this Space Age inspired show (the last song of the intro tape was Bowie’s Space Oddity, the outro tune was Elton John’s Rocket Man) was the live link up (video) with astronauts in the International Space Station (ISS), one of the crew apparently signing up for Bono’s ONE campaign on the spot.
Setlist (audio at U2exit.com)
- Breathe [Video // Alternate video]
- No Line On The Horizon [Video // Alternate video]
- Get On Your Boots
- Magnificent [Video]
- Beautiful Day [Video // Alternate video]
- I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For [Video]
- Angel of Harlem (with Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough and Man in the Mirror snippets) [Video // Alternate video]
- In a Little While
- Unknown Caller [Video]
- The Unforgettable Fire [Video // Alternate video]
- City of Blinding Lights [Video]
- I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight [Video]
- Sunday Bloody Sunday [Video]
- MLK [Video]
- Walk On (with You’ll Never Walk Alone snippet)
- Where the Streets Have No Name
- One [Video]
- Ultraviolet [Video // Alternate video]
- With or Without You [Video]
- Moment of Surrender [Video // Alternate]
One (Bono telling the band what to do)