U2 received a whopping five Grammy nominations from the Recording Academy today in the following categories:
- Album of the Year (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb)
- Song of the Year (“Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own”)
- Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal (“Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own”)
- Best Rock Song (“City of Blinding Lights”)
- Best Rock Album (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb)
Friend and producer Steve Lillywhite also was nominated in the category of Producer of the Year, Non-Classical, for his work on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
The 48th Annual Grammy Awards will be held on February 8, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Boom. Cha. While we await full reports from our troops on the ground, we’re going to tease you with this short and simple statement: They played Discotheque!
Set: City of Blinding Lights / Vertigo / Elevation / Electric Co. / The Ocean / Beautiful Day / Miracle Drug / Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own / Love and Peace or Else / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Bullet the Blue Sky / Miss Sarajevo / Pride / Where the Streets Have No Name / One / Discotheque / The Fly / With or Without You / All Because of You / Fast Cars / Yahweh / 40
Daniel Lanois plays guitar on One, Eddie Vedder joins them near the end for a few bars of Ol’ man river. The ‘Pop Muzik’ intro starts the encore and the screen shows PopMart imagery.