Bono and The Edge were in San Jose, California, today to help Apple announce:
- A special 20GB black U2 iPod that will retail for $349US featuring all four band members’ signatures.
- A digital box set of all of U2’s albums as well as over 25 rare and unreleased tracks. The box set will retail for $149US. U2.com says that those tracks will include material from Hasta La Vista, Baby! and Melon, the Propaganda-only fan club CDs. The total is said to be “over 400 tracks” — which is a lot more than just all the albums. Hopefully there’ll be more on this soon.
- The iTunes music store is now available in Austria, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain, in addition to the UK, US, Germany and France. (No Ireland?)
- A iPod Photo for sharing your iPhoto library with friends and family who aren’t already sick of your photos. Price: $499US (40GB); $599US (60GB).
- Bono on CNBC, discussing the release: “Music and technology have always been neighbours. Today they moved into the same house.”